Thursday, November 4, 2010

Les Savy Fav - Root For Ruin


French Kiss
2010

Les Savy Fav has been off of my radar for a while, and I don't really know why. Maybe I got burnt out by them. Who knows. Either way, it's been almost 6 months since I cared enough about this band to listen to them. I don't really know why I haven't been listening to them, Les Savy Fav is one of those bands that's right up my alley. Maybe I just haven't been in the mood for something with so much energy and awesomeness packed into a sound. Or shit, maybe I'm just getting too old for this kind of music? Nah.

Anyways, apparently this shit leaked back in July. I really feel like I should keep better track of stuff that leaks on teh torrentz, but that takes extra effort. I wasn't really hyped up to listen to this record, but I figured I'd give it a chance. I mean, Les Savy Fav is a pretty awesome band. Better than most of the stuff that comes out. I'd even say they might be underrated (gasp!) But yeah I guess it exposes how I listen to something obsessively then lose interest and put it down. Or how you want to listen to old man music as you get older.

So yeah, this record. God. Sorry. I guess it's not bad. It's pretty fucking good actually, compared to other records. Les Savy Fav definitely brings it on this album and it's packed full of all of the sweaty, fat, balding Tim Harrington screaming into a mic as you can handle. There's lots of potential for dancing. Great guitar parts. Excellent, cryptic lyrics. Some pop hooks and shit. Fucking fat beats to make you want to rock out. All of that tied up with the post grunge shit you expect from these mo-fos. So what's the beef with this record? Why have I only listened to it a few times and not been obsessed with it?

It's nothing new.

That's why. It's pretty much the same as Let's Stay Friends except for new songs. This album doesn't really change anything. I mean, if you like your bands to stay the same, then this album is pretty good (I mean it is), but it's lacking the new direction to make it fucking great. So, this album exists in the purgatory between being okay and being something awesome. Almost there, but not quite.

3 out of 5 steering wheels.

No comments: