Friday, November 5, 2010

The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt


Dead Oceans
2010

I don't know what it is, but I'm having a hard time writing about this record. Maybe I'm just tired or my head hurts from that awesome dream I had this morning. Holy crap it was so awesome. I'll tell you about it later I suppose.

Anyways, I think I fell in love with this guy last night. Not really in a gay way or anything, but seriously, Kristian Mattson is nothing short of a musical genius. For some reason his music kind of fills that folk void that Sufjan Stevens left behind when he recorded all of that electronic stuff and put on a horrible live show. Anyone go see that shit?

A few people who have heard me playing this either at work or at home were like "who is this? sounds like Bob Dylan or some shit." It's really easy to say that this guy is the "Swedish version of Bob Dylan" but I feel like there's much more than that going on here. Especially on this record. It opens up with the title track, which has this great chord progressions. God I really want to write a review about Shallow Grave because I think I like that record more. This one is really good too, but I think that one's better. "King of Spain" makes a good single, but it's not the best song on this album (the first one is, I think) and there's some other really good songs on here too. "Love is All" is a pretty tune. So is "A Lion's Heart". This record closes out with "Kids on the Run" which is a piano ballad reminiscent of something off of Nebraska.

All in all, this is one of the better records of 2010. Go out and get it.

4.5 out of 5 steering wheels

No comments: