Friday, October 15, 2010

Magic Kids - Memphis


True Panther
2010

I was listening to KJHK one Thursday afternoon at work and this show called "Ad Astra Radio" was on. I need to keep reminding myself to listen to that show more. Anyways, these guys were on that show that day, along with Fourth of July playing some songs off of their new record. I think that was the night Ariel Pink was in town playing Yes! covers at the Jackpot. We started there and then Peter and I went across the street to the Replay to watch these guys play.

They put on a really fun show. I mean, this pop is so fucking sweet it will make you sick if you listen to it too much. Lots of people think these mofos sound like the Beach Boys, and I guess I could see it, but I think they probably ripped more pages out of Belle and Sebastian. I went home and got their album and I've listened to it a few times through. It's not bad, but I'm not one of those candy pop junkies so I'm not crazy about it. The string arrangements on here are pretty good. It all works well together, but the kicker for me is that I really don't think these guys are doing much of anything new or exciting here. I guess if you are seeking out that retro sound then these guys fucking deliver, but this record doesn't go anywhere we haven't been before.

So yeah, It's not a bad record, but I think I liked the live show more. They really put on a great live show at the Replay and I think that was the best way to experience them. There seems to be lots of bands that come and go at the Reepz that I really enjoy live but would never listen to at home. I guess these guys made that list.

3 out of 5 steering wheels, for a good live performance.

No comments: