Friday, October 15, 2010

The Album Leaf - A Chorus of Storytellers


Sub Pop
2010

So the first time I listened to this record, I was falling asleep and had it going. I've always dug The Album Leaf since my roommate Chris from freshman year of college played them for me. Perhaps I'm generalizing all ambient/post rock music, but this stuff is really good about making me think about landscapes. Or falling asleep. I'm not saying that's a bad thing either. When I want to chill out I always put on some post rock. Or when I want to work on something. It's not really so much that I'm bored by this music or think it's bad, but I couldn't sit around just listening to the Album Leaf.

So what's this new record like? Well, compared to One Day I'll Be on Time this album seems a bit more upbeat and well, poppy. For a post rock album there's quite a few energetic songs on here, like "There is a Wind." There's lots more instrumentation on here, and it's a somewhat different direction from previous Album Leaf records, which bordered on minimalist. There's still that signature keyboard driven sound here, which is great.

All in all, this is a pretty good record. I think it's growing on me.

3.5 out of 5 steering wheels

No comments: