Monday, September 27, 2010

The Morning Benders - Big Echo


Rough Trade Records
2010

I've been hungry for new music recently. Probably about the time I wore out The Suburbs and had naught but old music to go through. My downloading habits are weird. I sporadically torrent tons of music every 2 months or so, then it takes a while to process all of it. So I've been sifting through massive piles, so to speak, of new shit I've never heard before. This band was in that pile. Last.fm told me to listen to them, so I gave them a shot.

I can't really decide if this band is worth loving or not. I mean, they certainly are like-able, but is there a fucking love connection here? Probably not. These guys are pretty fucking good at crafting "indie pop" music, which isn't all that bad if you ask me. It's just that there's a ton of other bands that are doing the same damn thing. I want to say these guys kind of sound like Beulah, then you look them up and find out that they're from the bay area or some shit like that and it makes complete fucking sense.

So I downloaded two records by these guys and I chose to review this one because it came out this year. I think it's okay. I recall hearing the first song "Excuses" on KJHK a long time ago and was wondering "Who the fuck are these guys? I want to listen to them some more!" The second song, "Promises" has this great little bass driven hook in the beginning that repeats throughout the song. "Wet Cement" sounds too much like "Wasted Hours" off of The Suburbs by that one band from Montreal. It picks up a bit with "Cold War" but for the most part this album is kind of forget-able. The other one I downloaded I thought it was easier to get into it, and maybe it's just coz the songs might be a little more poppy or up beat, I'm not really sure.

I'm not sure if I'll be listening to this band in like 3 months. I'll let you know

3 out of 5 steering wheels.

No comments: